Forest Argent 
Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > Rules Discussion and Ideas > Thoughts on Rules Changes and Feedback

Gideon
Site Owner

There have been a lot of interesting Feedback with many new people recently, that has led to the following thoughts:

1 - Should we add a death Count? Perhaps 2 minutes to the body? Or Two minutes to a limb, then you pass out from loss of blood and need Surgery.

You dont die at the end of the two minutes, but you DO need another Surgery pull. Increasing the need chance of death. 

If your still down after ten minutes you have died.

2 - Massive Damage: If you take five successive hits to the same location after dropping, due to being eaten by a zombie, or whatever, you need another Surgery Pull.

3 - You need a sacrifice for each person in a ritual. Either effected, or taking part.

4 - We drop Aegis to it stopping one type of damage rather than "anything but" there has been quite a lot of worry that it is over powered. 

As I say, these are just thoughts that have come out of feedback and conversations. 

Thoughts?

June 19, 2014 at 7:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady-Pandora

hmm well already I worry at making it easier to die which is what most of these elude to, the idea of power aiegis down a litle could possibly be a good idea it depends on what would count as a thing you can defend against

June 19, 2014 at 7:22 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca

I wouldn’t want a death count: in a low hit system it seems excessively punishing. That and I like the idea that the only way you’re really going to die is if you’ve pissed off the other characters sufficiently that they’re just going to walk off without healing you. Or if you do a stupid thing and walk off alone.

Kind of agree on needing extra pulls f you’re repeatedly attacked while you’re down. Makes sense.

Now obviously I love Aegis… and I think there are several things to consider: some people just don’t want to play a very physical class. Personally, I suck at fighting. I suck at running. Let’s just say I suck at exercise. That doesn't prevent me from wanting to join in. If you’re going pure/primary spellcaster, you’re probably relatively squishy stats-wise. Your magic is all there is between you and the monster, and once that goes, however difficult it is to take it down, you’re basically fucked unless you run away fast enough. You need to prep your spells for 30 seconds. Fair enough. But then it’s also fair that there ought to be some lasting pay off on the other end. You might be OP for all of 5 minutes, but there’s still the fact that if you don’t prep at the right time and plan correctly, you’re going straight down (unless we say that everyone should just invest in armour. Which would suck. Aesthetically at the very least). Then there’s the other thing: magic consumes resources. Most physical combatabilities, as far as I’m aware, do not. You’re limited in a way that non-spellcasters aren’t. Although Aegis is strong in itself, there’s a lot of peripheral stuff that needs working on if you’re going to have it at all. That social rank isn’t going to raise itself for the sake of your resources. Knowledgeable is available from two classes. You can grab the person under the Aegis and hold them down until the spell expires (as has been done in the past)… It’s OP if you use the usual tactic of ‘rush it and stab it’, not if you actually pause to work around it.

--

June 19, 2014 at 8:05 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca

For instance: if Sir Lambert hadn't been there last event when the crew started grabbing hold of me and removing my weapons, I'd probably have been overcome in spite of my Aegis.

Regarding rituals: I should probably mention that when I said it might be an idea to have more than one sacrifice for rituals, I hadn't yet properly understood how that part of the magic system worked. When the ritual is just an up-scaled version of a normal spell, I don't necessarily think that there should be extra sacrifices. The draw backs are accounted for in the mass boom card mechanic. What I meant was that it might also be an idea to have larger rituals that could have non-standard aims/effects, which would require larger sacrifices.

--

June 19, 2014 at 8:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

1 - Should we add a death Count?

Depends if you want character death to be a thing.

What about something akin to: For every minute (ish) that passes the Surgery Pull involves pulling an additional bead, at the same time as the first is pulled. Character suffers the worst result. Re-pull means putting all of the beads back in the bag and pulling them all agian. Character suffers the worst result.

More chance of death, but far from certainty until someone's been bleeding for about 10 minutes, in which case they should be toast anyway!

-----

2 - Massive Damage

We've done stuff like that in the past and players have happily just gone with it.

-----

3 - You need a sacrifice for each person in a ritual.

Could do. But then there's not a lot of point in doing a ritual rather than casting one spell at a time?

----

4 - We drop Aegis to it stopping one type of damage rather than "anything but" there has been quite a lot of worry that it is over powered.

I think the issue becomes one of OOC knowledge:

If people know it's protection from a named weapon type then everyone just changes weapon and it's no use.

If it protects (say) against the first 3 attacks then everyone knows you just keep hitting the wizard.

Perhaps make it so that an Aegis "drops" for, say, 10 or 30 seconds if the protected character attacks?

Perhaps make it so that 1 aegis spell only protects against one person's attacks? If you're up against multiple opponents, cast the spell a few times?

Dunno...

As it stands it's really, really good in most fights.

_

Pete

June 20, 2014 at 4:36 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Well these are just thoughts at the moment, however, the feedback from some proper low hit system players: this system isn't dangerous enough the threat of death is to distant. That with magic being to hard makes chance of death to small. Pete: unless I've miss understood you, that's kinda what I was saying.
June 20, 2014 at 12:58 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca

I like Pete's idea of Aegis dropping for 10-30 seconds if you attack while under it. That way it becomes more purely defencive, rather than making characters under Aegis into invincible killing machines.

--

June 20, 2014 at 1:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

I was also thinking that if you attack someone that person can then attack you free reign. 

Thus making it great against victims who go down quick but not if your outnumbered etc?

June 22, 2014 at 5:09 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca

I’d be weary of doing both the 10-30 drop AND a drop against any enemy who attacks you: Aegis is at its most useful when facing large groups. If you’re running low on resources those are the encounters you’re going to be wanting to save them for.

I’d say do either/or. There are things that seem potentially cool in both scenarios, but appear to restrict your combat actions too far if you’re going to go with both: in the case of the 10-30 seconds rule, you need to balance active and passive defence, and rely on picking your targets more thoughtfully at the right time (bearing in mind, in the context of a battle encounter even 10 seconds is a pretty long time) . Cool.

In the case of the permanent drop regarding the enemy you attack, you can generate a single combat mechanic in a melee. Also cool.

Together, you just get a character who kinda wants to ask “why did I cast this spell again? I guess I might as well have stayed out of battle in the first place.”

--

June 22, 2014 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

I meant either or, not both. 

At the moment, I actually think its ok as it is. If your mobbed your in trouble. If your attacked by another mage then your in trouble.

I mean, there are some mages out there who also stamp around in armour and are great fighters with shields, so Aegis is: Useful rather than necersary. 

However, thats not the norm and there are other problems with being a tanky invulnerable death machine....

June 25, 2014 at 6:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Rebecca

As I said, I love Aegis as it is. I was just giving my two pence in case people really wanted to change it.

--

June 25, 2014 at 7:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.