Forest Argent 
Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > Rules Discussion and Ideas > eh - Rules stuff from 01-11-14

Pete_Walls

So...

A few odds and ends of Rules discussion happened mid-event last Saturday.

Seemed worth bringing them up here, so that we're all on the same page.

This isn't intended as a "he said, she said" or "so-and-so is worng" thing: Just a chance to air opinions and nail things down se we can all play and have fun without any stress.

----

Strike as a special call.

The version 2.0 rules simply say

Is always considered a “Deadly” hit to the body needing surgery and knocks you over.

Does this bypass armour and just "1 shot" anyone?

I have vague recollection of a decision that Strike would reduce Armour to Zero, so that a second Strike would be required to down a character wearing armour.

----

Ritual Magic

The V2.0 rules say

A white bead shows that the Ritual is a success and everyone is affected.

A purple bead means that one person is affected and the Sacrifice is consumed.

A red bead means nothing happens.

A black bead means that everyone is affected by the BOOM!! Card.

There was a suggestion that a purple bead should allow all participants to be effected.

-----

Bleed Time

There was a suggestion a while ago that if a character was left without treatment for too long there could be complications, and a greater chance of death.

I don't think anything was specifically agreed or writtin into the rules: But the situation arose on Saturday a couple of times where one or more characters were downed for a fair while...

-----

Guns and Ammo

At least one player wasn't aware that Ammo for Guns is now limited in supply.

As guns have limited ammo should the same apply to Bows and Crossbows?

_

Pete

November 3, 2014 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

Ok, I thought it just one shotted you, but was told I was wrong at the last event. However, it is a bit hard if that is the case.

The idea is that it was supposed to repressent something hitting you all over, or with such force that you need surgery immediatly.

Ritual Magic I think works with that rule. It makes sence and has a sence of danger based on pushing your luck.

We decided at the moment to not go with bleed time and since we have actually have another player death, it seems to be working.

There was a long and loud complaint about guns and how dangerouse they where. They are quick to load, and either have a decent range, or never miss. So, we looked at slowing them down a bit and thus, we looked at ammo costing for them. (The other thing is you can only carry X arrows based on the size of the bag, where as, nerf shot and party poppers can be carried in HUNDREDS.

November 3, 2014 at 5:12 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

Strike: I like the idea of a call to cover powerful explosions and "this just kills you" things. But it feels brutal to have it as a call on a weapon blow.

Perhaps keep Strike as is, but say it can not be Tallowed on to a weapon. So the "best" that a sword can do is Shatter?

---

Personally I like the set up for Rituals. There's risk to doing them, they are unlikely to work, but the benefit of possibly getting to effect everyone is tempting enough that it's worth trying from time to time.

----

I certainly don't have a problem with the current set up for Ammo: It was more a passing thought.

_

Pete

November 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

Hey Pete,

I dont think it is possible to have to on a weapon, other than bombs. Because they can actually explode in your face and cause more trouble than they where worth.

(They go off with bead pulls and every encounter with fire is a FUN FUN time!!)

November 4, 2014 at 2:36 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Ross

Hello everyone. 

Just my two pennies worth. 

ok Shatter as a call will destroy a weapon or armour if it hits it. so this in theory reudces the armour to 0. If it hits a person without armour the hit according to the rules counts as a strike.  this represents the powerful hit cutting an arm or lef off etc. 

Strike no where in the rules does it say it goes through armour at all, making it similar to poison.  Strike just means you need surgery if you are hit  knocked down i believe but i will need to check that. 

So from my perspective Strike is a redunant call with no need for it. My suggestion would be to remove it and just have Shatter. 

For larp explosions the call can be a wide range of things including knockdown, fire and even shatter.

Ritual Magic 

It is a little bit disapointing that purple beads do not affect everyone. However i can see it being powerful if it does. I can also see rituals not being performed if purple does not grant all the group the benefits. This one seems a double edged sword to me. 

Just my thoughts on the mechanics i will shut up now. 

Ross 

November 6, 2014 at 2:11 PM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.