Forest Argent 
Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Forum Home > Rules Discussion and Ideas > Resources from Social Rank & paying upkeep for weekend events

Pete_Walls

Just prepping for the upcoming weekend event and thought it worth checking:

For an event that happens over the course of multiple days, do characters get their Homestead Produce per day of the event?

e.g. As the May event is Friday / Saturday / Sunday / Monday, and I've got a SR of 12 do I get the 24 items of produce which I'd normally get for a single day event or 96?

On a similar vein do characters have to pay to maintain their Social Rank per day of the event?

e.g. I'd normally have to pay 12 units of produce for a day event, do I have to pay 48 for the May event?

Then too is "voting" per day, or per event?

I feel I should say I don't have any strong feeling in any direction, it just seemed worth checking these things out in advance.

Cheers

_

Pete

April 21, 2015 at 6:34 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

What (I believe) has happened in the past is that your downtime is done at the events end, so you play the event before, get your downtime and decide what to do with it, then at the end of the weekend, you get downtime(s) and social rank votes. 

The problem with that I guess is that you get 1 days worth of resources to last you a weekend... 

Hmm...

April 21, 2015 at 4:00 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

Yeah, it's a discussion we had before.

I know for the earliest of the weekend events we played with 1 event's worth of resources, and people found it extremely hard going.

Then we switched to being recources per day, and that seemed to make things easier on the players.

But that was a while ago, and I don't know if you decided that it was too generous and made things too easy on the players?

--

Ways to look at it may be to compare how much "time in" there will be over the course of a weekend event, compared to a day event, or to the cost of a weekend event vs a day event?

A day event runs from about 11:00 to 5:00, say 6 hours.

And costs £10

A weekend is going to be

Friday- 7:30 to 12:30 (5 hrs)

Saturday- 9:00 to 1:00 (15 hrs)

Sunday- 9:00 to 1:00 (15 hrs)

Monday- 9:00 to 12:00 (3 hrs)

38 hours of Time In (give or take)

So that would mean you're getting 5 times as much Time In compared to a day event.

Base Cost is £60 vs £10 for a day event.

So you're paying 6 times as much for the weekend as for a day event.

I don't think either of these things should necissarily dictate the outcome of your thought process - but they may have some bearing on weighing things up...

Otherwise, tactically, the "correct" thing to do becomes to play day events as you end up getting more resources / XP / etc (and less attrition vs those resources) for your time and money.

But meah, what's that in the face of the wacky fun you can have for a whole weekend! That's what I say. Bring on the crazyness of 5 cultures clashing in a wood for 4 days! It's going to be epic.

April 22, 2015 at 2:12 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

Ok, I'll have a think, the thing is off course, the other way around, at a weekend event you end up with several down time moves. As well as a large chunk of XP.

April 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

{{at a weekend event you end up with several down time moves. As well as a large chunk of XP.}}

You do?

April 22, 2015 at 3:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Sara

Gideon at April 22, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Ok, I'll have a think, the thing is off course, the other way around, at a weekend event you end up with several down time moves. As well as a large chunk of XP.

Hello,

Throwing 2 pennies in.

Last weekend event I did, I didn't get any extra DT or what I would classify as a "Large Chunk" of XP considering the length of the event, but that is just my opinion.

Maybe a good idea to manage peoples expectations on the XP front for this, as Pete's chart (which I was thinking fo putting up myslef) shows I'd be expecting 5-6 events worth of XP as the max based on time in and cost, but I'm fully aware that won't be the case. So could there not be a mention somewhere in the rules of how much XP people can expect from an event???

X

April 23, 2015 at 7:42 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

Ok, I have noticed that the event is supposed to give 1-3 XP according to the rule book.

It doesnt mention that it gets doubled or trippled for a weekend, which I have tried to do in the past. I hope that I have done that in the past. 

Making sure that this is clear shall go on my list of changes to the rule book.

April 23, 2015 at 6:18 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

{{Ok, I have noticed that the event is supposed to give 1-3 XP according to the rule book.}}

Yeah, that's kinda where I'm coming from.

{{it gets doubled or trippled for a weekend}}

Well, your gaff, your rules etc.

My feeling is that x4 for a Friday Night to Sunday afternoon event feels about right in terms of length of event, and then adding Sunday afternoon / Evening and Monday Morning feels like another x2, for x6 in total for a 4 day weekend.

I can see possible issues with characters gaining XP too quickly and such, but I can also see people feeling disapointed if they feel they are not getting "enough" XP from an event.

April 24, 2015 at 2:10 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Lady-Pandora

this is somthing that has been on my mind recently, especial as how resource dependent my main character is, the same I feel aplies to armour, on a day event it dosnt have as long to last as armour is worth more on day events than over a weekend. an increase of resources maybe good, or maybe you get the full amount of reousource at the begining of the event and a booster at the start of subsiquent days?? as for armour im strugling to think of a good idea but hey!!

April 24, 2015 at 8:25 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

{{ as for armour im strugling to think of a good idea but hey!! }}

Armour can be repaired by a character with the right skill. It just involves a risk of a resource. A longer event means more risking resources. Which loops back to the suggested solution being to have more resources available to risk...

April 25, 2015 at 1:27 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
How about this: you get as many down times as days of the event, which are available at the time you pay for the event?
April 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
How about this: you get as many down times as days of the event, which are available at the time you pay for the event?
April 28, 2015 at 8:40 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls

I'd suggest the easiest way of doing it is that each day of a weekend event counts as a " normal day event".

So if I'm playing an event that starts on a Friday evening and finishes on a Sunday I get 3 Down Time Actions, Income from Social Rank / Homesteads equal to 6 times my SR, Obligation to maintain my Social Rank by paying resources equal to 3 times my SR at the end of the event (or to loose up to 3 points of SR when I cant afford it because I've spent all my resources), 3x the XP award (between 3 and 9 XP, +1 for each day of the event on which my Story Card put in a relevant appearance).

I'd think that doing the downtimes after the event would be the easiet way to not loose track of how many a person has.

_

Pete

April 28, 2015 at 9:01 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

That makes a lot of sense, ok, I think we shall go with that. Thank you.

April 29, 2015 at 6:31 PM Flag Quote & Reply

BlueTressym

What about crewing?  Should they be treated as doing three days' worth of events as well?  It seems only fair. 

--

May 3, 2015 at 8:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner

They get 3 days crewing credit. Thats always been the case.

May 4, 2015 at 4:10 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.