Forest Argent 
Enactment & LARP

If you are willing to step 
Widdershins around the old oak...

Roleplay Forum

Post Reply
Forum Home > Sann > The Sword Falls: Pre Game

Gideon
Site Owner
Posts: 1033

The smell of herbs.. a strange whiff of smoke... incense on the wind....

A dark ally that becomes bushes and tree's. 

A fog that draws you in and spits you out elseware. 

A sleep from which you awaken in a strange place. 

There is a strange creature, wide brim hat pushed forward, scaled face watching you. Arcane symbols scatched into the now guttering candle. 

"Most honoured ones. My monastery has given great insult to the Shogun, by allieing with those clans that oppose him and support trade with the UnMade. The Shogun is sending his forces to crush our Monastery and detroy us. I have been given a candle of summoning to gather those who would aid us. 

Please. You have arrived. The Monks have fled. Even the UnMade. Ask what you need and I will help as I can."


March 2, 2016 at 5:30 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Embleton
Member
Posts: 61

A man steps forward, his hands are hidden in the pockets of his white coat. His scarred face wears a mad grin as he leans forward, eyes scanning intently over the scaled person. 

"Fascinating... I am certainly going to have to perform tests and gather information... ahem... but first more pressing matters it would seem. You, scaled creature of unknown origin! Tell me, where is this and who are you? You speak of a monastary and monks, were there many subjects of post human alchemy amongst your people? What exactly are you asking us to help with?" 

The man stared at the scaled creature expectantly after unleashing his slew of questions, as if expecting them to have already been answered.

--

Verris Harle: Legate Ironwood: Mercenary Melnisian with a forte for unnecessary violence and is definitely not Verris at all... nope

Lazarus: Minorly renowned thug, mercenary and hater of slavery. Now with guns!

Doctor Francis Newton Stein: Just a chap with medical skills... who runs an asylum.

March 2, 2016 at 6:15 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Posts: 1033

The scaled man stands and bows. 

"This is Sann oh most honoured one" 

He watches you expectantly.

March 2, 2016 at 6:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Embleton
Member
Posts: 61

I return the bow, giving a small flourish with my arm 

"Doctor Isaac Newton Stein. I shall save my questions about sann for later. You have brought us here through some form of unknown means in order to help defend you from an attack from your 'shogun'. I am only a humble man of medicine and science but I would be willing to aid you cause, however I would wish to see if you might help resupply me? Tell me do you have any experience with blackpowder?"

--

Verris Harle: Legate Ironwood: Mercenary Melnisian with a forte for unnecessary violence and is definitely not Verris at all... nope

Lazarus: Minorly renowned thug, mercenary and hater of slavery. Now with guns!

Doctor Francis Newton Stein: Just a chap with medical skills... who runs an asylum.

March 2, 2016 at 6:32 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Embleton
Member
Posts: 61

(Whoops got the name wrong, should be 'Francis Newton Stein' not isaac..., also 'aid your cause')

--

Verris Harle: Legate Ironwood: Mercenary Melnisian with a forte for unnecessary violence and is definitely not Verris at all... nope

Lazarus: Minorly renowned thug, mercenary and hater of slavery. Now with guns!

Doctor Francis Newton Stein: Just a chap with medical skills... who runs an asylum.

March 2, 2016 at 7:56 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grace French
Member
Posts: 4

There is a rustle in the bushes and the sickening crack of joints popping back into place, followed by a small long draw out cry of,

"Owwwww..."

The woman couldn't be seen until she stood with the aid of a long stick, untangling herself from the twigs and sticks surrounding her as she did.

"Oh no, this is my good velvet!" she moaned, as she shooed away the more persistant thorns from her precious blue dress.

She turned and adressed the man with the sort of look a mother would give a child for rolling in mud, resting the hand that was not propping up her staff firmly on her hip.

"Normally It is the spirits that see fit to plop me unceremoniously into another world at the most inopportune of times..."

She rubbed her temple dramatically, feeling a small headache surfacing.

"You summon me here and ask me to destroy your enemies..." she looked the man up and down with a critical eye, "Forgive me if I don't immediately assume that you are of the benign party. I have had to banish troublesome trolls from under several human bridges who looked just like you. Hmm, give or take a few details. It was a few centuries ago. In any case, I require proof of the villany of an individual before I partake in their demise."

--

Wynne: Gate Fae, Elf, High Priestess of her clan. 1942 years old, and not as sprightly as she once was in her youth, due to too much time indulging on food and rest.She maintains a boisterious nature and generally prefers to be noticed, as evidenced by her explosive style of magic and bright, regal style of dress.

March 2, 2016 at 8:21 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

Hello,

Delighted to make your aquantance.

One has the privilage of being The Abbott of The Abbey at Rainbow Vale.


Do not dispair, there's always a way.



Firstly, how long until these inimicable opponents of yours arrive?


Secondly, you say your monastery has accepted alliance with clans that oppose this Shogun. One assumes word has been sent to them, and they are on their way?


Thirdly, what is it that means the monastery building itself is in need of protection?

If all of the monks have fled, then it is now just an empty building, no?


Fourth question: You mentioned being given a candle of summoning - who gave it to you?


March 3, 2016 at 1:46 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

Additionally, and I do appologise for the barage of questions, but time may be a factor here:


Are there any nearby villages, merchant caravans or the like which may become caught up in a battle, and should thus be warned of their danger?


Are their any armed forces nearby which have so far remained neutral in this growing war? Places to which we could send emisaries, point out that The Shogun is willing to attack a culturally significant monestary. Forces which may be able to provide troops to defend a monestary, even if they are not willing to take aggressive action?


Are there any bands of sell-swords, any blades for hire, who may be enticed with riches to stand against The Shogun? If so, does the monestary have any riches with which to entice them?



Do you have any maps of the terrain around the monestary? Are there any mountain passes, any roads through dense woodland, any places a small group of defenders could hold a narrow front against an army? Any where small, fast moving, raids could be used to sap at their strength as they approach?


Come to that do you have any protective magics or fortifications prepared against such an attack?

Can any of those you have called by the power of that candle construct some in time?


March 3, 2016 at 4:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sara
Member
Posts: 57

A small armoured and armed woman appears next to the Abbott, wearing objects that glow with a strange light.

She steps forward and bows to the man.

"I'm Delphi, I have fought against the Shogun before and consider myself aligned with those who oppose him, I'll stand and fight for you. Also what he said (indicating the Abbott with a head motion"





March 3, 2016 at 6:50 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert
Member
Posts: 13
Looking at the stranger, Tobasco simply sighs, brushes himself off and replies "ohh here we go again". First time I'm dragged off to some nutty place full of pirates, stick waggling pointy eared folk and everything I knew and did changed for ever. Now just as I'm set up again, peacefully working at minding me own business, the wobbly wobbly happens again and I'm summoned to some war! They locked me up calling me mad lasttime! But fine, point the way, give me a smithy to work and materials and I'll help get yer folk protected. Ohh and how's the fishing around here?
March 3, 2016 at 12:54 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

"Well, if our host has nothing to add at this juncture...

Perhaps, Delphi, you could tell us of this Shogun?

Of why you've stood against him before and the like?"

March 4, 2016 at 8:04 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Sara
Member
Posts: 57

"The Shogun was gathering Clans to his cause.

Using intimidation, diplomacy and any other method he could.

Those who refuse his call to arms he considers his enemy.


He seeks to gather an army and, with it, make war upon the Un-Made. Which is to say everyone not from the world we now find ourselves standing in.

It would seem he seeks the anihilation of all those who are not of Sann.


The Shogun's forces have been known to actively seek out portals, gateways between the worlds, and to attempt to cross through them to attack. All of our worlds will be in danger, if he is allowed to stand unchecked."

March 4, 2016 at 3:02 PM Flag Quote & Reply

James Embleton
Member
Posts: 61

"This shogun certainly sounds like quite the nuisance! heheh... we'll need quite the plan we if we are to oppose and defend against his armies... It would certainly be worth seeing what can be provided amongst ourselves to aid our abilities, it would do us well to get everyone to the best of their abilities...

Should anyone become wounded during battle I would be perfectly... happy to treat them and get them back on their feet"

--

Verris Harle: Legate Ironwood: Mercenary Melnisian with a forte for unnecessary violence and is definitely not Verris at all... nope

Lazarus: Minorly renowned thug, mercenary and hater of slavery. Now with guns!

Doctor Francis Newton Stein: Just a chap with medical skills... who runs an asylum.

March 5, 2016 at 11:24 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Gideon
Site Owner
Posts: 1033

The Monk bows to you all I. 

"Little Mother Delphi is correct in her assesment of the Shogun, I have asked you hear not to kill anyone (he glances at the fey his face stiffening slightly) but to stop him from killing us for the fact that we wish to continue supporting those clans who are making new inroads with the unMade."

He looks at the doctor and bows again.

"I am ashamed to say that though the Monastery has many treasures to reward those that help us... should such a thing be necersary... I have no experience of "Post Human" or "Black Powder" (he quitly slips a tiny knife from his sleave, nicks the side of his thumb and then it disapears back into his sleeve).

My most honoured Abbot, I shall attempt to answer your enquiries as best I may:

1 - We have maybe five days of hard travel for both us and them, unless they have sent faster scouts ahead.

2 - We have sent word to the Red Hawk and Green Lotus clan, the Stygian Bull are alas as ever guarding the boarded of the Vale of the urMade so they cannot be called away.

3 - The monastery is our home, not everyone can be moved as the Sarris slowly age to stone, or the infirm are at rest. Not only this but our works, calling of the spirits, food and supplies, all these things that cannot be taken with us will be lost to the Shogun.

4 - Some years ago a shegenja of the Golden Lotus was given a place to build a monastery in the Vale of the urMade, being unable to travel there himself he begged the spirits to send him aid and was sent a gathering of unMade who oppened up the Vale for him.

Before he was exectued by the Golden Lotus for speaking against the Shogun he made a selection of candles that serve as the original request to the spirits. If one can awaken one." 

March 5, 2016 at 12:20 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

"Splendid"

"Five days of hard travel. That will be... Interesting."

"Other than summoning us, what preperations are being made for the coming of the Shogun and his army?"



"We are, obviously, people not from this world. As we travel can you tell us of the customs and traditions of your people? Anything we learn may have a bearing. For example we would not want to insult any members of the Red Hawk or Green Lotus who answer your call. Similarly if we speak with those loyal to the Shogun it would be better to be able to impress them, rather than give them the impression that we are ignorant."

March 5, 2016 at 2:33 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

"As to those of us who have arrived here - does anyone have any suggestions? Any preperations they feel worthwhile and feasible, given the fact we'll be travelling?"

March 5, 2016 at 2:38 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Setsuna
Member
Posts: 6

A figure clad in white approached the monastary. She did not appear to be holding any weapons, and although not carrying sword or spear, the many tools about her looked like they could be used in self defence if she was pushed to do so.

As she approached, she surveryed the place and caught sight of the people there. She recognised several, and knew they too would recognise her. Walking to the entrance, she would greet and bow to anyone that she met there.

--


March 5, 2016 at 8:13 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Grace French
Member
Posts: 4

Wynne sighed.

 

"Through no fault of my own, I am already made an enemy of a group of..." she wavered a moment, searching for the correct collective noun. Finally, she settled with, "People."

 

She turned to the Abbott to answer his question, her brow creased with worry and frustration.

 

"I have an issue which has been grating on me since the last time we met. I always prefer to resolve a situation without bloodshed. My usual method for doing this is through fear. Magic is considered a myth by the majority of people in my own world, and are quick to run away from me when I demonstrate even a little show of power. In these new worlds however, I have encountered strangers who are for some reason all too willing to die for the pettiest of reasons. They will forget all sense of self-preservation for the sake of... Well, proving a point usually." She shook her head, sighing.

"My point is, what do you think we can do to resolve this situation without killing anyone - particularly when the opposition seems very willing to die for their cause and can't be scared away?"

She also turned her head to the others in turn, showing that she was happy to hear everyone else's point of view also.

--

Wynne: Gate Fae, Elf, High Priestess of her clan. 1942 years old, and not as sprightly as she once was in her youth, due to too much time indulging on food and rest.She maintains a boisterious nature and generally prefers to be noticed, as evidenced by her explosive style of magic and bright, regal style of dress.

March 5, 2016 at 11:44 PM Flag Quote & Reply

Pete_Walls
Member
Posts: 316

"Without killing anyone?"

"That will depend upon the culture and beliefs of the people of this land. It may be possible to convince the soldiers of this Shogun that the destruction of a monastery would be wrong. For example such an act of violence could sway the opinion of other clans, causing them to unite against the Shogun for his sacralige."

"Alternatively we could examine the circumstances of the origional insult given to the Shogun. It may be possible to make restitution. Or to shed light on some incident in the process which demonstarates that it was not the fault of the monks, and that this quest for vengence is being aimed at the wrong people."

"Or, perhaps, a significantly superior army will act as a deterant."

"If these people have a tradition of Single Combat, it may be possible to resolve the situation with only one death."

"Hence, to a degree, my question to this fellow about the ways of his people."

March 6, 2016 at 2:07 AM Flag Quote & Reply

Albert
Member
Posts: 13
Tobasco listens to all the talk of peace, war, negotiation and other pretty words, but remembers several of the faces from his last trip, so just *sighs* "War is messy and folk die, there ain't getting around it. Folk will die and keep dieing until some fella In charge decides he has seen enough.. And then the talking can start all over again" "Don't get me wrong, I ain't no lover of fighting, I'm more a do the job type of fella, but facts is facts and I'm betting war is same everywhere. Be it back in tha real world or here in my head" He looks around at the ground and plant life. "If we have soil we have stone and plants should meen trees too, so let's get some deffences built. So if this Shogun thingy ain't ready to talk, we are at least ready for what's comming, until he is ready to talk" Tobasco pulls out some paper and a pencil and starts drawing some basic plans.
March 6, 2016 at 7:38 AM Flag Quote & Reply

You must login to post.